Sunday, March 22, 2009

Intergenerational Music

I am compelled to share my experience with music that my son and I shared last night. His piano teacher invited us to a concert at a beautiful church. Takis Pazannis is his paino teacher and he is the accompanist for the Steiner Chorale. He tells us about musical opportunities in the area.

Steiner Chorale was performing and the MSU Jazz Ensemble directed by Sunny Wilkenson. Steiner Chorale is an adult singing group in the Lansing area which includes many senior citizens and the Jazz group is 11 young MSU students. At the end of the performance they sang two songs together, one of which was Can you Tell me How to Get, How to Get to Sesame Street? This was such a compelling moment.

The song is a pretty simple song but it has a catchy tune that so many people know. They did Jazz it up and there was a smile on everyone's face. Of course, I don't know this for certain because I was so captivated and cheesing myself that I didn't look at everyone. This is an intergenerational, magical moment brought to us by an educational program for children! This touched memories for everyone in the room.

During the time that Sunny was directing it was so enchanting to watch her direct. I have seen her sing before but to see her direct was a true reflection of her warmth. I could see the love of music in her movements and her love of her students. That is what teaching is about. If we could capture that in a bottle and use it every day in our classroom we would all be magnificent teachers.

3 comments:

  1. I loved Sesame Street as a child! The tune is so familiar to many people that I can see how those from different generations and backgrounds would be able to join in.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found it interesting that people tend to feel bonding to certain types of music. And here you think that you and you son both like the song. I am wondering what do you think makes this song a compelling piece for both you and your son.

    I am also curious if you felt any significant difference in a live concert from listening to the radio or a CD.

    Gaoming

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the song makes everyone feel like a child or at least remember what it was like to watch Sesame Street. It is a shared experience and certainly for my son and I. The live concert is significantly more compelling then watching the same thing on the tv or listening to it. If this had not been a concert I hightly doubt we would have shared the experience.

    ReplyDelete