Sunday, April 5, 2009

A Lesson Re-Fashioned by Nature

Teaching is sharing. Sharing knowledge, sharing experience and sharing exhilaration. Anytime we can take a lesson and find a way to bring the students into our experience, our wonder, or fascination, then we have accomplished our task.
When I started this assignment for fashion week I thought about a picture in the fourth grade text book that shows a small patch of a sand dune. It felt like injustice. How unfair to the students. That they might never see the magnificence of these awe inspiring sand dunes created by nature. What kind of a teacher would I be if I let that stand as their image of this absolutely breath taking eye candy?
When I was a teenager I made a promise to myself that I would make every effort to make a visit to Lake Michigan at least once a year because I love this area of the world so much and I live so close that there is no excuse for not enjoying it at least once a year. As teacher, we owe it to our students to find ways to reach deep into our imaginations and find ways to bring the world into the classroom.

1 comment:

  1. It is so nice that the students have a teacher like you. Learning should be something more interesting. And what is more important is that we cannot deprive students of the seeing the world. The world should not be limited to their classrooms.

    ReplyDelete