Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Imaginative Bridges with Architecture Commentary and Grading Papers

This week as I struggled with making meaningful commentary on photos posted by classmates it made me think of how sometimes when I review student's work I often put the same comments on most of the papers. It made me think of an instructor that I have that will write a commentary on my paper as long as the paper itself. Then I remembered how a teacher told me not to say "good job" to students because they are empty words with not much meaning and to tell the student what was good about the job. The combination of these events has made me think about how instructors should put more thought and creativity into the "grading process" and high light the positive aspects of a student's work. This could greatly increase a student's pride and motivate them to excel. If a student believes that you think their work is important and that you are going to spend time critiquing their work then they might take more time to complete the assignment.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mary,
    I like the connection you made between commenting on our photos and responding to students' work. My wife teaches English and I see her work really hard to find one specific positive comment and one suggestive comment about the student's writing. Late at night after 20 papers, it gets hard to be focused on the specifics, but I think you're onto something in not just being vague and positive because then it becomes almost meaningless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment. It made me think that teachers should have rubics or at least lists handy to assist them with making comments on student's papers.

    ReplyDelete