Saturday, February 14, 2009

What is Really Important?

On February 11th I was working out at the YMCA as part of my plan to lose weight. I was feeling good about it. I have been working with a trainer to get in more weight lifting. I picked up a 50lb bar to do curls. I got an instant headache. I had to sit down. It was on the entire left side of my head. I was immediately blinded by the light. After a few minutes I went and got my coat to cover my eyes. I found my husband and we left the Y. He insisted that we go to the hospital. In the emergency room in the hospital they ran a CT scan and came back and told me I had a brain anuerysm. Then they performed a percedure where they put a needle in my spine to see if the anuerysm was bleeding. This came back negative and they admitted me into the hospital. I was put in the Neurological Critical Care Unit. I was seen by various doctors and a CTA was ordered. I am allergic to iodine so they gave me meds all day so that I could tolerate the test. Nine O'Clock on February 12th they performed a CTA. On Friday the 13th I was exhausted and sore from all of the tests and the stress. I was told that the CTA was to determine what type of brain surgery would be performed and that a team of neuro-surgeons would arrive from Grand Rapids to perform surgery on Friday.
At 10am on Friday the 13th, a member from the team came into my room and informed me that I don't have a brain aneurysm. I waited all day for someone to discharge me from the hospital but I never saw a doctor again. The nurse finally got permission to release me at 7pm.
How is this relavant to this class? It is very easy to see all of the minor things in life and miss the focus of the picture. If a teacher is so focused on classroom behavior or the demands of the curriculum they run the risk of ignoring the important things in life like your health. Educators need to take care of themselves first so that they can be present in their lives.

2 comments:

  1. Mary,
    What a disturbing story! You're right that we can all miss the big picture, but what an experience to go through to see that in action.
    I hope all is well.

    Homayun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your concern. I went to the doctor today and she said she would follow-up with an MIR in 3 months just to be sure everything is alright. It certainly makes me appreciate my health and my life more.

    ReplyDelete